Tuesday, January 1, 2008

One Day at a Time - not just a show with that cutie Valerie Bertinelli

While I know this doesn't make a great deal of sense, I've always preferred even numbers to odd. Even numbers seem happy and positive to me, while odd numbers seem dour and severe. As a result, I'm usually more optimistic about even years than odd, which is why I'm particularly hopeful about 2008! After years and years of surprises and unexpected turns, I've stopped predicting where I'll be or what I'll be doing any more. But I still embrace the chance to check in with myself once a year and to strive to do better. Today's Dear Abby column was a list of New Year's resolutions that were adapted from the original credo of Al-Anon (which is ironic for this fan of alcoholic beverages!) and I'd like to share with you my desire to accomplish them this year. If you think of me while you're reading, try not to laugh too hard at some of them. May you all have a wonderful 2008 and may we all keep growing, evolving, and finding happiness within!

Just for today: I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today: I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

Just for today: I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those I cannot.

Just for today: I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.

Just for today: I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. [AJ here: Unless it's for comedic value. Come on people, I can only improve so much!!] I will improve my appearance, speak softly [COUGH], and not interrupt when someone else is talking [Oh, I might as well pack it in right here!]

Just for today: I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.

Just for today: I will do something positive to improve my health. If I'm a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I will eat healthfully - if only just for today. And not only that, but I will get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.

Just for today: I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

--------------------------------------------

I've got two additional jewels of advice that my mother received from my grandmother and great-grandmother, respectively: "There is nothing worse in life than a lazy woman," and "You're too short to be heavy." But really, aren't we all?

Good luck everyone! Love to you all, AJ

No comments: