Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Same Day, Different Year

So, Day 2 of the New Year. Let's see how we did, shall we? And by we, I mean me, at least at first. You're welcome to add anything you'd like to the bottom of this confessional.
My high ambitions for the year were spelled out yesterday as:

1) Just for today: I will live through this day only.
~I did pretty well on this one. Mostly because I got to bed late last night and was too sleepy today to really give a damn about yesterday or tomorrow. Although I do have some deadlines looming and was trying to get motivated to get things done at work. You'd think after having a month off for my surgery and the holidays that I'd be rarin' ta go, but you'd be very, very wrong. My biggest accomplishment of the day was getting on to myspace and then being disappointed that no one else was around to play. I did manage to get some work done on a presentation, but overall I was not terribly productive. I also read a story about a snake that swallowed some golf balls and a dead woman whose adult children discovered the skeletal remains of an infant in one of her suitcases, and that was fun.

2) Just for today: I will be happy.
~OK, this one went well. I wasn't deliriously happy, but I was too tired to be sad. Seeing my work friends was fun and we swapped some stories and laughed at other coworkers. Just a typical day!

3) Just for today: I will accept what is.
~Did OK here too. I accepted that I was sleepy and not terribly motivated. Yea, me!

4) Just for today: I will improve my mind.
~Does reading the snake and bones in a suitcase stories count?? If not, then I didn't really read anything of substance today.

5) Just for today: I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable.
~Welllllll........ I was agreeable to acquaintances but did laugh at some of my coworkers. And Don and I interrupted Anne so much that she swore she was never going to tell us another story. So then we laughed at her. Don made fun of my shoes, I made fun of his teeth. But I was happy and that helped satisfy #2.

6) Just for today: I will refrain from improving anybody but myself.
~Not only did I not improve anyone else, I also didn't improve myself! Boolyah! That was easy.

7) Just for today: I will do something positive to improve my health.
~Uhhhh. I ran yesterday. And I was totally going to run today but it was in the 30s and windy and cold and I was late because I took the dog to daycare this morning. I ate well, so that's something, right?

8) Just for today: I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.
~I always do. At least, what I think is "right." Doing the right thing can sometimes be subjective. But I've found that if it's being rational, seeing two sides of a story, and standing up when no one else will, then that's usually the right thing to do.

So, how'd everyone else do? Guess I need to hit the sheets earlier tonight so I have a better shot tomorrow. Wish me luck on the running. It's going to be in the 30s again and there's talk of snow. Brrrrr! Hope you all had a great day, AJ

No comments: