Saturday, July 25, 2009

Woof!

All right, Universe, I'm putting the word out there. My friend Anne and I talked about starting a doggie daycare business in Norfolk when we first moved here almost 10 years ago. Forensics has worked out well for her, she enjoys it, and she has recently been promoted to a supervisory position in our section. Whereas I on the other hand am almost completely burned out. Alas, I make a pretty decent salary and know that starting over anywhere would affect that greatly. So I've been toying with some different ideas -- looking for something that would be more fulfilling mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

In the last week, the following career paths have floated to the top: firefighter/paramedic (Did anyone just hear a scream? That was my mother having a heart attack over the firefighter part); fitness trainer (yes, it makes me laugh too); or doggie daycare owner.

Briefly -- because I have an arse-load of things I should be doing right now -- my thoughts on these fields...

Firefighter/paramedic: I'm not so hot on the FF part, but have always been drawn to emergency medicine/services. My Dad was a volunteer Rescue Squad member and cardiac care unit EMT when I was growing up and I just always assumed I'd be a volunteer on a squad. I looked into it when I moved down here and finally had the time to dedicate to it, but there aren't any volunteer squads in my immediate area. I know beginning FF/paramedics don't make a lot of money, but how much would I need when I would spend the greater majority of my time working out and eating?? There are definitely some benefits to that job. Not to mention my original intention of becoming a doctor. Would be nice to get closer to my old self and my old goals....

Fitness trainer: ok, this one seems to be a stretch, but I think I could do it. And what better job? I'd get PAID to work out! Those of you who know me may find this surprising, but one of my personalities is really pretty cool about motivating people, helping them with life goals, etc. Usually can't help myself with any of that, but am pretty good with others. I know people in this field and know a couple who actually train folks to be trainers, so this is definitely do-able. Unsure of the job security -- I imagine personal trainers take a major hit when the economy is bad -- but maybe this is something I could do on the side to at least give me some satisfaction at work...

Doggie Daycare: this one has always seemed like a pipe dream. I don't know the first thing about starting a business and finding land in this area for a DD seemed daunting. But damned if I wasn't talking to someone about this last night and she pointed me in two right directions - there is a group of retired businessmen who volunteer to advise and put together business plans for newbies and she also knows a real estate agent who handles warehouse properties in this area -- which would be ideal for a DD. I also know a handful of local people who have successfully started their own businesses and I know they'd be willing to help me out along the way.

SO...I'm paying attention Universe. I'm putting it out there and I'll see what you shoot back. Is it time for me to get off my butt and do something else? What say you?

And yes, Mom, writing is still on the back burner. Most profitable idea can't be written/sold during my current employment stint. Wink, wink.

No comments: