Thursday, December 11, 2008

What a Brazzle Dazzle Night!

As if I didn't already adore "Pushing Daisies," they did a little homage to my favorite Disney movie, "Pete's Dragon," last night! Now I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you about this because you watched the episode and are already aware of all the references...

But just in case you happened to miss "Pushing Daisies" just this once, I'll do a quick recap. The episode dealt with a lighthouse keeper (also found in "Pete's Dragon") named Merle McQuoddy. I perked up when I heard the last name but thought, "Nahhhh." As I'm sure you remember, the setting for "Pete's Dragon" is the town of Passamcquoddy (It's also the name of a zippy little duet on the soundtrack -- more on this later).

Next up, the lighthouse keeper's wife's name was "Nora". As was Helen Reddy's character in "Pete's Dragon". The son was named Elliott, also the name of the dragon in "Pete's Dragon". And I'm confident you all realized the similarities between the lighthouse keeper hiding in the cave on "Pushing Daisies" and Pete and Elliott hiding in a cave in "Pete's Dragon".

Finally, I'm sure you all choked up when Olive and several men finished off the episode with an a capella version of the Academy Award-nominated song, "Candle on the Water" from "Pete's Dragon"!

I was beside myself with joy.

It wasn't until I was driving to work this morning, singing my heart out to the "Pete's Dragon" soundtrack ("A dragon, a dragon, I swear I saw a dragon!") when I remembered that Jim Dale, the narrator of "Pushing Daisies" was a traveling salesman in "Pete's Dragon" who sang "Passamcquoddy"...........

I'm still all atingle.

Grey's is on, so let's just consider this Part 1 of my "Pete's Dragon" love affair.

What the hell? Grey's isn't on, it's some Operation Smile thing. All right, well the mood has passed for now and besides, I can get another blog out of Pete, so I'm going to sign off anyway.

No comments: