Monday, October 26, 2009

I Sing the Body Electric

Well, I'm at a loss.

As has become customary of late, I've got a ton going on in my head and heart, but nothing I'm prepared to put out there for human consumption. Huh, some writer I'll turn out to be!

It's days like this that I long for my super-secret blog. I've got all sorts of things going on -- some good, some bad -- and in the meantime I feel like I've somehow absorbed the universe and it's screaming to come out.

And no, I haven't taken any drugs to achieve this feeling. It's hard to explain, quite frankly. All I can say is that it stops me in my tracks and makes my want to scream at the top of my lungs at everyone and everything. It makes the commonplace business and minutiae of everyday life almost excruciating. It makes me want to climb the highest mountains and dive to the deepest depths of the sea and just LIVE.

And instead, here I sit. Struggling with things that shouldn't warrant struggling and just suffering.

All suffering is desire. Eliminate the desire, eliminate the suffering.

Where's my saffron robe and wooden bowl?? :)

3 comments:

Bert said...

One of my favorite songs of longing is the Grateful Dead's Crazy Fingers. Robert Hunter (poet/lyricist) explains in his book A Box Of Rain "Crazy Fingers is a collection of haiku-style verses, mostly seventeen syllables, some more successful than others, with no connecting link other than similarity of mood." I happen to think the result is beautiful.

Your rain falls like crazy fingers
Peals of fragile thunder keeping time

Recall the days that still are to come
Some sing blue

Hang your heart on laughing willow
Stray down to the water
Deep sea of love

Beneath the cool calm face of the sea
Swift undertow

Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know
See how it feels in the end
May Lady Lullaby sing plainly for you
Soft, strong, sweet and true


Cloud hands reaching from a rainbow
Tapping at the window touch your hair

So swift and bright
Strange figures of light
Float in air.

Who can stop what must arrive now?
Something new is waiting to be born

Dark as the night
You're still by my side
Shining side

Gone are the days we stopped to decide
Where we should go
We just ride
Gone are the broken eyes we saw through in dreams
Gone, both dream and lie

Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know,
Feels like it might be all right
While Lady Lullaby sings plainly for you
Love still rings true


Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

Never could reach
It just slips away but I try

Bert said...

I think that thing that I find to be achingly beautiful is the hopefulness. It's not overt, but I feel it.

AJ said...

Thanks, Bert. It's beautiful. :)