Sunday, November 6, 2011

Old Friends

For the record, I just have to post something in order to satisfy the requirements of NaBloPoMo.

See -- I could just publish that sentence above and I'd be good to go. So perhaps you'll forgive me for giving you someone else's story today.

I first heard about Tarra and Bella a few years ago on my beloved CBS Sunday Morning:



I love Steve Hartman's final words...

"They harbor no fears, no secrets, no prejudices. Just two living creatures who somehow managed to look past their immense differences.

Take a good look at this couple, America. Take a good look, world. If they can do it - what's our excuse?"

The video would make the internet rounds on occasion and I'd always watch it and smile first and then cry.

Unfortunately I awoke this morning and learned of Bella's passing. I assumed it was from old age and while I was sad for Tarra, I figured an elephant who befriends a dog rather than another long-living elephant risks losing her companion prematurely.

I should have known these two sweet creatures weren't done making me cry.

CBS News reports: Last week, sanctuary workers found Bella's body. By all indications she'd been attacked by coyotes. Whether Tarra witnessed it, tried to intervene or was too late - no one knows. All they do know is that where they found Bella is not where she was attacked.

"When I looked around and saw there was no signs of an attack here. No blood, no tufts of hair, nothing," said director of elephant husbandry, Steve Smith. "And Tarra, on the underside of her trunk, had blood - as if she picked up the body.

Tarra moved her?

"Tarra moved her," Smith said.

Steve's theory is Tarra carried Bella possibly a mile or more to bring her home.

Whether it really happened that way or not, no one doubts Tarra was that devoted.

"There's nothing we can do to take away her pain," said Atkinson. "The only ones who can help now are the elephants. And that is already happening."

Atkinson said the elephants are "stepping in and stepping up." He said they're spending more time with Tarra and being extra nice - making gestures like giving her a portion of their food.

Of course, anyone who's lost a dog knows you can't eat your way out of the grief - as much we might try -- but it's still nice to know at least Tarra's not alone in this.

It's also nice to see that compassion is much more than just human.


It bears repeating...

"Take a good look at this couple, America. Take a good look, world. If they can do it - what's our excuse?"

1 comment:

Katie Bell said...

Thanks for making me cry..