Saturday, November 5, 2011

That's Why Sometimes I Love Thoughts... 'Cause They're Just Yours

Thanks to Girlfriend's sweet personality and gorgeous looks, we found ourselves invited into the VIP section of the last ODU (Old Dominon University, for those of you not in the know) home football game today. Yours truly had season tickets, but thanks to some other obligations, this was the first game I had attended this year. What a way to go out!! Thanks to our hostess' connections, we enjoyed free food and many a free beer throughout the game. And thanks to our seats two rows behind the goal post, I actually SAW part of the sporting event, which is a miracle in itself...

Going into the game, I had in the back of my mind that I needed to behave myself to some extent. As inappropriate as I can be, I can also pull myself together when need be. If I wanted to be invited back to the VIP section in the future, I should probably toe the line...

Things were going smoothly enough and we were in the restaurant area before the game (who knew there was a restaurant area?!) when everyone realized the marching band was on the field and they were playing the National Anthem. People starting popping up from their chairs, chatter ceased, and all faced the field from our enclosed area of the end zone. We could hear the faint melody of the anthem from the opened doors until someone made the executive decision to close them. And then we all stood there, some with hands on hearts, facing the field and the flag, listening to the very loud color commentary of whatever football game was on the flat screen TV in the VIP lounge. We could not hear a THING from outside. So we all stood there in deep pride, solemnity, and utter silence as the announcer on the TV yelled out names and plays LOUDLY.

And one of us began to giggle.

And one of us noticed her Girlfriend was giggling.

And one of us realized she had to PULL HERSELF TOGETHER lest she never be invited back to the VIP section!!!! But it was SO TEMPTING to just LOSE IT at that moment.

It was sheer ridiculousness. No one could hear the band. We had NO IDEA where they were in the anthem. I finally harkened back to my marching band days and set my sights on the conductor in an attempt to figure out where they were in the song. But damned if we didn't all clap in the appropriate place at the end.

We Americans are smart-like when you can hold our attention for more than 30 seconds...

Congratulations to ODU on their 42-28 win over Richmond and thanks for the hospitality! I'm totally spoiled now...

Oh, and as for the title of this here blog? I was just lamenting the need for a blog topic to Girlfriend and that was her response. How could I not love her?


No comments: