Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mighty Girls

My girlfriend and her cousin decided a few months ago that it would be a great idea to build a farmhouse table for our enormous dining area.  I wanted to be involved because I like to build things and also didn't want to spend the rest of my life saying, "And that's the table GF and her cousin made..."  I wanted to be able to proudly tell people that we made our family's table.  If they asked.  Even if they never asked.  I'll just be saying it automatically.  Maybe stencil it on top: "We made this!"

Today was finally the day.  We went out to the cousin's home in the country because they have all the space and nifty table-building tools we needed -- not the least of which was a trailer to get the lumber from Home Depot to the house.  

The three of us are all take-charge alpha girls, so I was a little nervous as to how this would go down.  We seemed to strike a decent balance today, but I'm not sure.  Did I do too much?  I know I took a bunch of measurements and did a lot of figurin', but more often than not, when I finished, I discovered my girlfriend had already come to the same answer faster and in her head.  When it was my turn with the power tools, I kept asking if anyone else wanted to take a turn and they didn't -- or at least said they didn't...  

It's always hard for me to tell.  In most of my lab classes in college, I'd wind up with people who were happy to have me push them out of the way and do all the work, because they weren't really inclined to do it on their own.  In general, I'm not a big fan of teamwork.  I can ask for help when I need it, but I don't enjoy having too many cooks in the kitchen.  Less talk, more action.  I know what I want to do and how I want to do it, so...step aside.

It's a wonder I have any friends or a girlfriend at all.

I tried to check myself today, but I'm not sure how successful I was.  We're almost done with the construction and after that we have the sanding and then the staining and/or painting, so I feel like there are plenty of opportunities for me to step aside and let the others do the work.  And I certainly got shot down enough times today that I don't feel like I took charge at all.  I don't know.  As an Only Child, it's sometimes difficult for me to tell.  Is Only Child on the autism spectrum?  It probably should be.

And as I got close to home after our day of kick-assery awesomeness (we're very proud of ourselves), I was behind a car with the following saying on a bumper sticker.  I love when the universe mocks me.  :)


No comments: