Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Boss Don't Mind Sometimes if You Act the Fool

I don't typically read my daily horoscope, but something made me read mine this morning. Probably a good bit of procrastination on my part. Or maybe just a nice dose of affirmation from the universe. I was greeted with:

"Gemini: Want to take up a cause? How about waving a banner in protest against the extreme underappreciation of whimsy? You're the perfect poster child for the cause of imagination and wonder."

Now, I'm not sure how accurate the second part is, but the whimsy part I think I can handle. According to various sources, whimsy or being whimsical is "lightly fanciful" or "subject to erratic behavior or unpredictable change." I'd like to add my own technical synonym: being a goofball. And that my friends, I can do! It seems, even in the most serious of situations, I just can't help myself. I can be serious and appropriate, but if I see the slightest sliver of an opportunity for goofiness -- and that those involved will be open to it, I take it. I like to look at life from two steps to the left. I find overly serious people boring, depressing, and in general, a drain on humanity. Yes, there are serious things in life, not the least of which is death. But why succumb to it all? Why not alleviate the bad with the good, with the silly, with the joy of being goofy? Give it a try, dear readers. Find the funny. It's in EVERYTHING. Name the most devastating situations and you can find something funny about them. This is not to suggest that you should ignore someone's pain or worse, make light of it, but even the most dour events, after a respectful period of mourning or sympathy, can produce laughter if you look in the right places. Who wants to be sad all the time? Find the whimsy, my friends. You'll lighten the hearts of those around you and hopefully your own in the process. Now go BE SILLY!!

No comments: